by Dr. Tom Baldwin, Biloxi, MS
November 24. 2011
I’ve been resting and reflecting the last couple of days and decided to write a personal message to display on this blog site I created this past January. It is a “Thanksgiving” message and a wish for everyone to think about that for himself/herself independent of your religion or creed. As I grow older, I have become “progressively” unhappy with traditional holidays but this one still reminds me I need to periodically reflect and keep matters in perspective.
Thus I present my “TWELVE REASONS I FEEL THANKFUL THIS YEAR”. It is written both from a personal and a “political” perspective since this blog site has a definite political orientation. Please accept it in the spirit in which it is intended.
TWELVE REASONS I FEEL THANKFUL
1. I’m thankful to be alive; eight years ago I did not feel this way. But for the grace of “God” I would not be here today.
2. I’m thankful I have plentiful food, can choose to eat healthily, and have a roof over my head.
3. I’m thankful to have Social Security and Medicare; otherwise I would not be alive today.
4. I’m thankful I wasn’t in my car when it exploded in flame and was destroyed two months ago.
5. I’m thankful for my friends and family. Even though these are changing and developing I have definitely learned the importance of other human beings in my life. I also fully realize that “things” are not important by comparison.
6. I’m thankful to live in this country even though I realize that conditions have deteriorated for millions of people who have been suffering from the incredible greed and power obsessions of a few. I know that I have a responsibility and the ability to confront that. I’m thankful that I have both time and a strong desire to contribute service to others.
7. I’m thankful this week that a totally inept, incompetent and even evil Congress is at home and allows Washington D.C. to remove the stench they are leaving.
8. I’m thankful that the totally corrupt two party political duopoly is being exposed and that it is being learned that our president is a puppet for Wall Street and the corporatists.
9. I’m thankful for the Occupy Wall Street movement which is calling attention to the incredible economic injustices in this country. I’m thankful for those brave citizens who are willing to put their lives on the line to protest.
10. I’m thankful to be rid of the “addiction” to cable TV and the continuous trash broadcast there. I’ve found NPR and alternate Internet sources preferable to receiving news.
11. I’m thankful for the Internet and Facebook in communicating and developing superb friendships and for the group I formed just over a year ago to candidly discuss issues and potential solutions.
12. And finally, I am thankful for this blog space which allows me to express myself and invite others to submit their blogs, comments and thoughts.
HAVE A THANKFUL DAY YOURSELF AND LET US KNOW WHAT YOU THINK!! EXPRESS YOURSELF!!